(43) A Stela incised with the Keepers of Light
From The Family of Man catalogue, Chai gathered the names of 257 photographers, shy of 16 from the 273 people claimed in the collection at Clervaux Castle. When Chai further diagnosed the list she detected some interesting facts.
• Many images were selected from assignments, from photo journalists working for News agencies or magazines such as Life, Magnum, Pix, Fortune, Rapho Guillumette, Sovfoto or Black Star.
• 60% of photographers were Americans, made up of those born in the United States, and immigrants who became citizens. Many were European photographers thus suggesting that the ensemble of pictures was built heavily from a Western point of view.
• A neglectable number of artists working as fine art photographers.
• A neglectable number of artists working in other media such as film, painting and writing.
• A neglectable number of commercial/fashion photographers.
• A neglectable number of Japanese and Asian photographers.
• 15% of photographers was women. Chai highlighted their names in yellow, leaving those that she was not sure of their gender.
• A number of photographers have achieved world-wide fame, with photo books publicizing their work, she underlined those she's heard of.
• Remaining is a large number of names going anonymous, having not enough media coverage to introduce their work.
• The exhibition was grouped by themes common to all mankind, forming a giant photo-essay of humanity, a dazzling kaleidoscope of love, birth, family, friends, work, play, conflict, hunger, worship, migration, government, fear, hope and dream.
Eugene Harris, Wynn Bullock, Dmitri Kessel, Ralph Morse, Gotthard Schuh, Laurence LeGuay, Roy De Carava, Louis Faurer, Robert Doisneau, Ernst Haas, David Linton, Wayne Miller, Werner Bischof, Robert Capa, Frank Horvat, Hans Malmberg, Jay Te Winburn, Henri Cartier-Bresson, Paul Himmel, Margery Lewis, Elliot Erwitt, George Rodger, Hideo Haga, Robert Frank, Manuel Alvarez Bravo, Richard Harrington, Nell Dorr, Nico Jesse, Leon Levinstein, Gitel Steed, Eiju Otaki, Lennart Nilsson, Irving Penn, Lisa Larsen, R. Diament, Chien Hao, Satyajit Ray, Anna Riwkin-Brick, Ted Castle, Constantin Joffé, Eve Arnold, Consuelo Konaga, Eric Schwab, Hannes Rosenberg, Constance Stuart, Nat Farbman, David Seymour, Alfred Eisenstaedt, Arthur Leipzig, Ian Smith, Clemens Kalischer, Shirley Burden, Edward Steichen, Burt Glinn, Edward Wallowitch, Yasuhiro Ishimoto, Ruth Orkin, Bill Brandt, Russell Lee, Pal-Nils Nilsson, Carl Mydans, Willy Ronis, Homer Page, George Heyer, Eugene Smith, Ronny Jaques, Dorothea Lange, George Silk, A Uzlyan, Gottfried Rainer, Bob Jakobsen, Diane and Allan Arbus, Martha Kitchen, Robert Carrington, Vito Fiorenza, Nina Leen, Charles Trieschmann, Brassai, David Duncan, Ihei Kimura, Li Shu, Shizuo Yamamoto, G H Metcalf, Loomis Dean, Edward Clark, Jack Delano, Jakob Tuggener, Ansel Adams, Todd Webb, Margaret Bourke-White, Abdul Razaq Mehta, Charles Rotkin, Robert Mottar, Wermund Bendtsen, Gustav Thorlichen, Walter Sanders, Lennart Nilsson, Marcos Chamudes, August Sander, Frank Scherschel, Steinheimer, Arthur Lavine, Allan Grant, Gjon Mili, Eva Besnyo, Simpson Kalisher, Emil Obrovsky, Barbara Morgan, Walter B Lane, Fritz Goro, Gordon Coster, J R Eyerman, Torkel Korling, Pierre Verger, Ruth Davis, E Sved, Rudolf Pollak, Hans A Schreiner, Leopold Fischer, Yoshisuke Terao, Koslovsky, Ernst Brunner, John Collier, Erich Andres, Vero, Jerry Cooke, Gorky, Hiroshi Hamaya, Paul Berg, Hermann Claasen, Ralph Morse, Francois Tuefferd, William Garnett, Jacob Lofman, N Kolli, Sam Falk, Bradley Smith, Sol Libsohn, Leonard McCombe, Ed Feingersh, John Bertolino, Hugh Bell, Bob Willoughby, Rudolf Busler, Sabine Weiss, Hans Wild, Kurt Huhle, Kurt Severin, Bob Schwalberg, Arthur Witmann, Ralph Crane, Eddy Van der Elsken, George Strock, Leonti Planskay, Hedder Morrison, Nick De Morgoli, Lisette Model, Nora Dumas, Kosti Rouhomaa, Henk Jonker, Harry Lapow, Karl Sandels, David Brooks, Garry Winogrand, Ewing Krainin, Francis Miller, Musya S Sheeler, Edward Clark, John Phillips, Roman Vishniac, J De Pietro, Otto Hagel, Esther Bubley, Bert Hardy, Andreas Feininger, Harry Callahan, W C Rauhauser, Edward Weston, Carl Perutz, Fred Plaut, Ruth Marion Baruch, Cornell Capa, Ike Vern, Guy Gillette, Joseph Breitenbach, Herbert List, Peter Stackpole, Peter Moeschlin, Vitor Jorgensen, Jean Marquis, Gordon Park, Leon Levinstein, Henri Leighton, Eleanor Fast, Allan Turoff, Mildred Grossman, Ted Castle, Izis, Matthew Brady, Arnold Maahs, Lola Alvarez Bravo, Willie Huttig, Robert Halmi, May Mirin, Karl W Gullers, Rondal Partridge, Louis Clyde Stoumen, Daniel J Ransohoff, Alfred Statler, Al Chang, D Harrissiades, Ben Shahn, Doris Ulmann, Cas Oarthuys, William Vandivert, Jack Lorner, Hans Hammarskjold, A Mar Shak, Tana Hoban, Thomas McAvoy, Fenno Jacobs, Rene Croebli, Lou Bernstein, Raymond Jacobs, Fritz Neugass, Marion Palfi, Michael Rougier, Carmel Vitullo, John Florea, Dan Weiner, Sam Falk, Edmund Bert Gerard, Herman Kreider, Reva Brooks, Peter Habalin, Joan Miller, Yoichi Okamoto, Raphel Platnick, Emmy Andriesse, Alma Lavenson, Unosuke Gamou, Don Ornitz, Charles Leirens, Suzanne Szasz, Barney Cowherd, Richard Avedon, Annelise Rosenberg, Toni Frissell, Helen Levitt, Sanford Roth, Hella Hammid, Lee Miller, Carter Jones, Gita Lenz, Jasper Wood, Lewis Carroll, Farrell Grehan, Edouard Boubat.